Sunday, October 23, 2011

Response to Course Material # 3

      These past few weeks have been reinforcing the idea of  even more with our reading of Albee's  "American Dream" and our class discussions. When I found out that I would  have to annotate every single page, I was immediately overwhelmed. I was never forced to read into the text like this. I have always been guided in what passages to look at why I should be looking at them. This close reading of the "The American Dream" was basically the cutting of the rope of teacher-guided    reading and set me to wander through this book on my own. 
      I feel that by analyzing "The American Dream" I am going to be able to analyze both "Death of a Salesman" and prompts on the AP test with confidence. 

2 comments:

  1. Is there anywhere else you could use your annotation skills? Maybe in another class or in a future career? I would be interested to see you talk about how these skills will help you outside of AP Lit. I was overwhelmed too about having to annotate every page. How have you been dealing with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not much to say in this entry huh? But then again, what more is there to say than what you’ve already said? I agree, this new way of analyzing a text is definitely new and challenging, but you don’t need to annotate every singe page. Take it as you need it. If something is obvious, why bother writing it down? Just do as much as you need to remind you of sudden thoughts you had or themes you want to remember.

    ReplyDelete