Sunday, October 9, 2011

Response to Course Material #2

     After the 25th of September, we did multiple things such as continue to learn about the aspects of DIDLS,  continuing to practice how to write an introduction for our essays, and learn about types of comedy by reading "The American Dream" by Edward Albee.
    One thing I really enjoyed about these past few weeks was being able to fully understand how to use syntax. Before this class I understood that syntax is about the structure of sentences, but in the packet we reviewed in class I was able to actually look at specific examples of how it is used and the affect it has. By learning about how syntax can be used in pieces, I was able to use syntax for my closed reading response. By using it I felt that I was able to go more into depth of how the author was portraying his point.  
    The constant repetition of dissecting prompts and creating introduction paragraphs seems very tedious to me, but I know that in the long run that this will be a very good skill to have practiced multiple times before the AP exam this may.
     Finally, another thing that has really stuck with me is the reading of Edward Albee's "The American Dream". I enjoyed reading this play because of how absurd it was. I thought it was a very clever way to get his point across. While I was reading this I thought about how parents can make up absurd stories to get children to learn life lessons. Also, another reason I enjoyed this reading was because I took an active part in the play by reading the part of Mrs. Baker Barker. Overall I think that these past few weeks have expanded my knowledge of both tactics to approach literature as well as the AP exam.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I too really liked learning about syntax. It's one of the tougher techniques that we have learned about. I like that you talked about how sometimes you feel like the constant repetition of prompts is tedious, but useful. It shows that you really understand how this will help you in the future. It's not always fun, but worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you feelings concerning DIDLS and Syntax, though I can’t say that I found The American Dream as enjoyable as you did… Maybe this is due to the fact that I had to read Daddy’s lines, in particular the ones concerning his…accident… Either way, I found this second Response to Course Material to be quite enjoyable, maybe next time display an understanding of what we’ve done in class with some examples.

    ReplyDelete