Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Synthesis of Course Materials

After thinking about everything I have done for the first 50 minutes of my day at school and the wee hours of the night trying to finish my work, I realize that it can be broken down into four broad yet basic categories: class discussionsannotating, improving essays, and understanding the main idea. 

(This is a DIDLS free entry. Yes it is important but every other response to course materials has listed DIDLS. What was said in past posts is still relevant, but it is not as necessary to write about because these elements have become second nature to me by now.)


Class Discussions
  If there is one thing the class discussions has taught me is to be quick on my feet, which is harder than it sounds at such an unreasonable time in the morning. The topics often change rapidly that I have a hard time interjecting my two sense into the discussion. As we continue to discuss as a class, I feel that I have not only gotten better at finding the right time to speak, but also putting in thought provoking ideas which can branch out to new discussions. I have come to love class discussions because I enjoy hearing other people points of view and being able to discuss with them why they see things the way they do. The best part of these discussions in my opinion is when everyone adds a little to a main idea, and the class as a whole comes up with a generalization about the piece of work. This has taught me to look at others ideas, take them  into consideration, and decide how they fit in with my current thought.

Annotating
  When I say to people that I have to annotate a book for homework, most people cringe. However, I secretly enjoy annotating. I  like being able to write on the pages and take note of things that are important. I feel that this also helps with my understanding of the piece because I am a very visual person. Whats great about annotating is that it really forces you to read every thing the author is giving you. When reading the first time, so many things can be missed or overlooked as arbitrary details, but when doing a second read/annotating, when you have a basic understanding of the plot, connections, comparisons, and conclusions can  easily be made.

Improving Essays
  Essays, can be very intimidating when looking at the prompt, but this year I've learned to really understand the prompt before I start writing my essay. I remember getting half way through a prompt at the beginning of the year and realizing that I was answering a completely different question. I learned the hard way to really look at the prompt and figure out what I need to pull from the text and what inferences I need to make. While revising my essays the past few days, I was a bit proud of my introductions and theses. I felt that this year my theses have improved immensely in comparison to prior english classes.

Understanding the Main Idea
  In every prompt and discussion, we end up talking about the piece of work as a whole. I've been used to looking at fragments or thinking about how this one aspect can relate to another, but never really looked into connecting everything into one giant idea. All of these have forced me to look at how these different elements of each poem, play or novel we read are so delicately intertwined with each other in the piece of work resulting in one stream of ideas.

the end.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the idea that you have to be quick on your feet, it still comes as a challenge to me. I also enjoy hearing everyone's idea collaborate and have different discussion spur from previous though provoking questions. It's awesome to hear all the ideas flow from just one question.

    Haha, secretly enjoy annotating? I actually don't mind it too much either. It taught me to manage my time so I'm not cramming my notes all in on one night. What's the biggest improvement you've made in your annotations? I've noticed how much I've improved on analyzing the main character's psyche.

    The biggest challenge in essays for me is stating the main idea. It takes a lot of effort to break down the prompt and see what the question is, but it's a whole different world when it comes to figuring out what side you're choosing. It's good that you've improved on your introduction, it's the most important part of the essay.

    Ah, I still struggle with the main idea.It's what our class discussions force us to think about too. What tactics do you use to diagnose the main idea? I try shredding the work apart into pieces but it's hard for me to understand what the piece of work is even saying. I guess it's something that I'll just have to keep on working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you can see the progress you've made when it comes to discussions. I know that in my hour, it's very challenging to contribute to the arguments, which can sometimes get pretty heated. I find it hard to adjust my point of view at the same rate that the discussion progresses.
    I a way I like annotating to in that it really forces you to process and think about what is being read. And at that point I realize I have 200 pages to go and I don't like annotating so mcuh anymore :) The main thing I think I notice is larger connections between characters, events and settings that I didn't realize on the first read. What do you notice the most when you're annotating?
    The hardest thing for me was dissecting the closed prompt excerpts that Holmes gave us. When she stood up in front and talked about the poem it all seemed so simple, and then when I actually sat down to look at a closed prompt, I wasn't quite able to reproduce her process. Did you have more challenges with the open or closed prompts?
    I feel that my hour didn't really end up coming to a consensus and summing up the main ideas. Personally, it's easier for me to formulate my own ideas, rather than discuss extensively in class, becuase tangents occur quite frequently in our class discussions.
    good job on summing everything up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make some great points here. I'd like to see a lot more detail and coverage of topics, though--critical lenses, history of lit, Foster, allusions, and so on (and yes...DIDLS).

    ReplyDelete